The News On The Wire…

Yesterday (Sunday), saw an increase in activity involving wire. Jenny and I were both working on different projects, with the sole exception being wire wrapping undrilled stones. In fact, I made a fairly good number of things. Unfortunately, I don’t yet have a photo of one of the items I’m particularly pleased with. I find wieworking challenging but it offers vast possibilities for expressing what creativity I own 😉  This is exhibited by the first item I have to show:

Summer Days Comb

Summer Days Comb

This is a first. Hopefully I can improve on the look and how to make decorative combs. As I was making it all up as I went, I’m kind of pleased with the result. The comb was well hammered to help harden the wire, before the gemstones were added.  The gemstones were aventurine, Botswana agate and mookite chips.

Second is a variation on the Tree of Life, using a single interesting stone, which has no value but for that:

Tree of Life Pendant - Front

Tree of Life Pendant – Front

Tree of Life Pendant - Back

Tree of Life Pendant – Back

Third, another piece involved wire wrapping an undrilled stone.  This was kind of heart-shaped and a very deep red-brown.  I couldn’t possibly not turn it into a pendant:

Red Stone Heart Pendant - Front

Red Stone Heart Pendant – Front

Red Stone Heart Pendant - Back

Red Stone Heart Pendant – Back

 

Advertisements

Getting Experimental!

I’ve never really been one to stick with one or two tried-and-trusted techniques in anything. It’s inevitable, then, that I’d end up exerimenting with jeellery making. The two necklaces I’ve just finished reflect that. Of course, I only have Jenny to provide immediate feedback so I’d love to hear what you think of these designs 😉 Do they work? Does only one work? Do make allowances for the fact that Reborn is a gemstone necklace while J is all man-made beads!

Some years ago, Jenny happened to find a bundle of jewellery that somebody had tossed into the  “skip” they’d hired. OK, so it was all broken and appeared to be very old, and probably “costume” jewellery. Despite all that, or maybe because of it, Jenny rescued it all. It’s quite possible that there are stories behind the pieces – maybe years of happy memories tied to tokens of love. It pleases us to think so, knowing that we’ll be recycling as much as we can so they’ll not be lost forever in some landfill! Reborn is based on a section of a broken bracelet. Way back, I made a few findings that I planned to use to make “chandelier” earrings, but never quite got there LOL. It happens that one of these plus one section of old bracelet fitted together perfectly! I added Picasso jasper, mookite, botswana agate, amethyst and an unidentified gemstone. Thus, Reborn.

"Reborn" Necklace

“Reborn” Necklace

The second necklace, which like Reborn includes a pendant, is obviously made for Jenny! It’s really an ensemble design – a sort of jewellery collage 🙂 The “J” is on 0.60mm wire, which was also used to make the loosely wound section. That wire was again used for the part beaded in pink and clear beads. The upper part is made of tiger tail, the “gold” beads helping to hide the crimps. Finally, the same wire was used to make the catch. (By the way, I made the catch on Reborn too, to a very similar pattern!)

"J" Necklace

“J” Necklace

Here’s a close-up photo of the catch:

"J" Necklace - Catch Close-up

“J” Necklace – Catch Close-up

I rather like these catches, though perhaps I shoudn’t say so! It’s good to know that I’ll always have a clasp available. And the clasp is easy to use!

 

%d bloggers like this: